Sign in to follow this  
DRAX

Development Blog #1 - 30/06/19

3d7cda7ddfcd4051249abd9d4b6085af.png

What's up dreamers!

Wanted to hit you with our brand new development blog! We are trying to become more transparent and open about our development as well as working more with you the players to design content that you want to see!

As I am sure you are aware, our current update has been delayed by the recent server issues, however now that we have resolved these and are back to where we were (if not in a better position) we can now really start thinking about our next update!

We are hoping to hit you with the next update in the coming week

(however these things are hard to give an exact ETA on as this coming patch is HUGE!)

EndlessKnot03d.png

You may have seen the Karma skill icon in the skill tab, a little sneaky spoiler for you! I am sure you have been wondering what Karma is and how it's trained. Karma is an idea we have been discussing for a very long time here at Dreamscape! Based on eastern philosophy, players will pick a faction, good or evil.

The faction you dictate decides a lot about how the skill is trained and the rewards you can gain!

Each faction will have a separate training area where you can train good and train evil and separate rewards you can gain. There are a lot of little touches to this skill that I don't want to spoil, however I can say that this new skill really pushes the boundaries of RSPS!

EndlessKnot03d.png

We are launching Karma next update along with Dreamscape's first real quest which will teach you all about Karma and allow you to pick your side!

It is likely due to the sheer scale of the Karma update that it will come in 2 parts (2 separate updates) With the quest and skill coming first and more rewards and perks coming in a separate patch.

EndlessKnot03d.png

One of the things we would love to get your feedback on is a feature of this skill called the Commanders!

Due to be released in Karma patch 2, the person with who is the most evil and the most good (exp based) will gain special powers and a number of exiting perks. Should you be overtaken in your exp, you will lose commander status to the person with the new highest Exp.

My question to you: What perks and powers do you think the Commander of Good and the Commander of Evil should have?

EndlessKnot03d.png

Looking forward to continuing these blogs in the future and sharing our updates and plans with you, as well as gaining suggestions and exciting new ways that we can collaborate on updates!

Drax

Head of Development

Its a Great concept. but i really do hope they are a EVEN concept instead of the usual good always wins bullsh**. 

18 minutes ago, jeba jr said:

Its a Great concept. but i really do hope they are a EVEN concept instead of the usual good always wins bullsh**. 

Do not worry my dude!
We have made a lot of effort to keep things balanced.
I quite like working on the evil side too, so they both have some very funky new toys!

EDIT - There will also be an option to switch factions (the choice is not permanent)

Haha this is amazing! I'd love a completely new skill being introduced to a RSPS, you did indeed push the boundaries. So excited to try this out!!

Love this idea and I'm excited to see how you guys have planned it out! As for the commander perks I have a couple ideas.

- bonus damage (maybe if the rewards from karma is weapons/gear then bonus damage using those weapons/gear)

- + X% drop rate and luck bonus

- whoever the commander rank is held by their faction gains a karma exp/point boost.

- the ability to call a war between the factions (battlegrounds PvP style) to decide who's the best faction, winners gaining karma points towards rewards). 

Just a few ideas but I can't wait to see how this update plays out! 

Dev blogs on DS?!?! Hell yeah!

Now, as for commander perks...

• I really like Goalie's idea of some sort of conflict between the sides. Perhaps repurposing Castle Wars as a Karma-based minigame could work well for this, as it shouldn't take too much work and Castle Wars is as good as dead anyway. Rework the rewards to be karma-centred, and maybe add in a dash of faction-based bonuses to each side. The only problem with this is that if there were somebody consistently holding on to the commander position for a faction, this minigame and it's rewards would become essentially time-zone locked. Perhaps this could remain an open minigame but if a commander is present, then their side gets some sort of bonus either in the minigame or to their rewards.
  • I think any other perks should be kept self-contained within the skill, and definitely should not include any sort of xp boost (positive feedback loop). Whether it be boosts to the effectiveness of any items or buffs you gain from the skill, or even just cosmetic items related to the skill, the perks of being commander should really exude the feel of the skill.

Can't wait for this skill and the proceeding patch, this has got me really excited!

Great to see that you share and inform us about whats to come, and the starte of the server atm! 

Hope to see more of these! 

-Sen

Obviously sense the commander role only goes tot he highest xp player, the rewards and bonus need to be worth pursuing, but at the same time, I don't want to see the skill end up as a rich get richer skill where the higher players can, in some way, purchase needs to get xp at higher rate than any other player can like scavenger. I'd like to see the skill in a way that earning xp is rewarded based on effort, not pocketbooks. 

As for bonuses, I could see the skill leading to a few things.

Perhaps good karma gets a small damage bonus to certain bosses, and bad karma gets a damage boost to other bosses. This boost could increase the higher your level gets. 

Maybe good karma could cause an xp boost to certain skills (wood cutting, construction, agility, farming, cooking ect) and bad karma to other skills (thieving, slayer, gambling, summoning, hunter ect). 

Maybe a passive could be placed on both factions. Good Karma could get a persistent 1 in 25 chance to hit double the max hit. Bad karma gets a 1 in 50 chance to do 4x max hit. (obviously numbers can be adjusted as I have no idea what would be acceptable values here lol)

These bonus, abilities, and passives could be elevated for the commanders of each faction.